Saturday, April 23, 2011

Ken Woods Road Race

One week after Durand, typically all riders go to Ken Woods, for the second race of the season; including me.
I kind of felt a little tired this week the whole week and was not sure if i lost some of my top shape or not.
Vince is not riding this week; so I am going to the race all by myself; and while going I realize I lack some cash for the registration; and need to make some stressy errands to get some cash. But all goes well further and at Noon I arrive at the track in Ken Woods. This track has 1 hil in a 21 mile loop; we have to do 42 miles today or almost 70KM. The hill in the loop is for riders with alot of power.

As my race strategy today, I will try and wait until after we did the first loop; so half race, and then place an attack. When the race starts; a bigger peleton today with almost 50 riders strong. We start with a tail wind and the peleton immediatly breaks into 4 pieces. I decide to not want to be trapped and jump to the first group. The legs feel pretty solid; maybe after a week of worrying about my shape, I will be in for a strong performance after all. After my first win last week, I start to make a name in the peleton. The moment I ride to the head of the race; riders start to yell: TIE!!! TIE!!! He won durand, don't let him go :)

The first lap goes at a real moderate pace. 10 years ago in races in Belgium, I was not able to ride through the peloton, to save energy from the wind, today it worked just fine. I was able to not waste any energy at all for the first 21 miles.

Then we take a right uphill, and I decide to attack on the hill, to see who are the better riders in the pack, since the pack is still 20+ riders strong at that point. My legs feel really strong and I am able to power up the hill with a 50x14 as a gear. From the peleton; only 1 rider can keep up with me. So it is the 2 of us from there on. The group however is not far behind and I again have to make my best educated guess about what I should do. I decided that I don't want to be this sprinter that only calculates on his sprint and I start riding at 100% from there on. With the tailwind though I feel I can develop way more power than my fellow rider and I drop him right there, I am alone with 20 miles to go. Again a moment of internal debate...It is far alone. But I decide to keep going. Suddenly out of nowhere 1 rider is able to make the jump out of the 12 man strong chasing group, it looks like he will be able to ride with me. However after a few turns, it looks like the jump from the group to me; was the only real bullet in his gun; and in the backstretch which is a strong headwind; I need to drop him to, since he starts to hold me up, and the chasing group is getting organized.

From there on; I start my time trail; I don't look back and try to keep the pace up to 22 mph on a strong headwind; I figure the chasing group will not be able to keep up the good organization and I keep going.
There is a motor rider; who keeps me updated with the number of seconds I have on the chasing group. First time he comes, I have 25 seconds. Second time 30 seconds. Still 12 miles to go and the headwind is really a heavy duty. However my legs still feel very strong and the group is not coming closer 1 milimeter.

The motor rider comes again, I have 1 minute on the chasing group with 6 miles to go. From here it will be a tailwind to the finish and a 2 mile uphill. I start to drop my pace a little bit since I figure 1 minute is a nice gap.

Towards the end I don't slow down anymore and I win my second race with a solo of 20+ miles. This is what I needed for myself to be able to have enough confidence to move up a category. Next week in Marty I will have to ride with cat 4 and cat 5. So that will be a new challenge. I will keep you posted. And oh yeah.. the price this week: An airbomb for on training rides and Pearl Izumi socks :)

See you next week for the race blog of Marty. :)

4 comments:

  1. Joris - that was an excellent strategy and a great display of confidence in your strength to break away and go it alone! I am impressed that the group knew you from Durand and already have you identified as a threat. I think that you need a cool nickname now - you know, like 'Il Pirata' that Marco Pantani had. You need a nickname that will spread fear in the peloton. Proficiat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait! I have it... it was right there in front of me! Your new nickname is 'Liegebeest'. You have to get that on your bike frame or on a jersey. Use that nickname when you register for Marty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. proficiat zoon, zo te lezen een sterke prestatie
    geleverd.. op naar een hogere categorie !!
    heb genoten van de boeiende verslagen en kijk al
    uit naar het volgende !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice race! We couldn't get anything organized in the group to chase you down.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete